EYELID SURGERY (BLEPHAROPLASTY)
The Greek word “Blepharon,” meaning eyelid, is the origin of the word blepharoplasty, which is a surgical procedure performed to enhance the aesthetic appearance of the upper and/or lower eyelids. In general, the signs of aging first become apparent in the eye region, because of the fragile and delicate nature of the eyelids and the skin around the eyes.
Benefits of blepharoplasty procedures include:
- Minimize the appearance of wrinkles around the eyes (“crow’s feet”)
- Remove excess fatty deposits, which can cause the upper eyelids to appear swollen
- Reduce puffiness or bags under the eyes
- Correct folds in the upper eyelids, which can change the natural eyelid contour, and potentially impair one’s vision
- Correct ptosis (sagging) of the lower eyelid
Eyelid surgery restores a naturally refreshed, youthful appearance to the eye area, and helps patients to appear alert and well-rested. Blepharoplasty requires a high level of precision and expertise, and should be performed by a board certified plastic surgeon such as Dr. J. Timothy Katzen. Dr. Katzen takes pride in keeping abreast of the latest advances in the field of cosmetic facial surgery, and has helped many patients rejuvenate their facial appearance with eyelid surgery at his private practice in Beverly Hills, California.
EYELID SURGERY OPTIONS AND PROCEDURAL DETAILS
Eyelid surgery addresses many cosmetic problems of the upper and/or lower eyelids, and has a tightening and lifting effect on the musculature surrounding the eyelid region. During your blepharoplasty, Dr. Katzen will reposition and remove the optimal amount of eyelid skin and fat to enhance your eyelid symmetry and definition. He will utilize intravenous sedation or general anesthesia prior to your surgery, and will ensure that your incisions are well-concealed by your natural eyelid shape.
There are three primary types of blepharoplasty surgery:
- Upper Eyelid Lift: Through an incision placed in a natural upper eyelid crease, upper eyelid fat is removed, muscles are tightening and upper eyelid skin is removed.
- Lower Eyelid Lift: Through a lower eyelid incision placed just underneath the lower eyelash line, excess lower eyelid fat and skin are removed.
- Transconjunctival Lower Eyelid Surgery: Similar to a lower eyelid lift, but entails an incision made inside the lower eyelid. This leads to a completely hidden scar on the inside of the lower eyelid. Using this procedure, there is no visible scar on the face.
EYELID SURGERY RECOVERY
Eyelid surgery is outpatient procedure with a recovery period of approximately one week. Following blepharoplasty, it is imperative to practice proper sun protection, and to wear darkly tinted sunglasses until the healing process is complete. You may use medication, cold compresses and ointment to help with any post-blepharoplasty irritation, bruising, dry eyes, and swelling.
Dr. Katzen’s practice is built on the foundational principle of surgical customization, meaning that as a patient, you will receive a unique treatment plan, tailored to reflect your specific aesthetic preferences, and designed to bring your surgical goals to fruition. Dr. Katzen and his professional staff have created a warm, welcoming, and private office environment, where you will feel secure and comfortable throughout your blepharoplasty surgery experience.
Dr. Katzen and his professional team understand the importance of well-informed patients, and will take the time to thoroughly explain your blepharoplasty procedural details and options. If you would like additional information about blepharoplasty surgery, please contact our office today. We look forward to speaking with you and to scheduling your initial consultation with Dr. Katzen.