WHAT IS A 360 BODY LIFT (CIRCUMFERENTIAL BODY LIFT)?
Patients who have successfully lost a substantial amount of weight in a short time frame (whether through bariatric surgery or traditional diet and exercise) are often left with an excessive amount of hanging skin, which is not only a frustrating aesthetic issue, but can also pose challenges in terms of hygiene and finding clothing that fits appropriately. Excess hanging skin may also have a detrimental impact on a patient’s emotional well-being, as it can mar the final results of their hard fought weight loss achievements.
Fortunately, the 360 body lift (otherwise referred to as a circumferential body lift) is a body contouring surgery that can treat and correct the issue of excess skin, revealing the true results of a patient’s weight loss efforts. A 360 body lift is an extensive and complicated procedure, requiring a high level of experience and surgical proficiency, and should only be performed by a board certified plastic surgeon such as Dr. J. Timothy Katzen, M.D. Dr. Katzen is a widely respected expert in the field of cosmetic body surgery, who specializes in surgical body contouring procedures to correct problems of excess skin for post-bariatric surgery patients. In addition to being a featured 360 body lift expert on a number of well-respected news programs, Dr. Katzen was also asked to participate in TLC’s documentary style program “The Real Skinny,” as an authority on the 360 body lift surgery.
360 BODY LIFT PROCEDURE
The 360 body lift is a highly customizable procedure, which can be adapted to meet each patient’s specific needs and aesthetic goals. The procedure can be performed utilizing one of three different incisions, either along the lower abdomen, over the hips, or around the back. During the circumferential body lift surgery, Dr. Katzen will tighten the muscles around the midsection (abdomen, buttock, and outer leg area), and will then remove excess fat and skin, resulting in a more toned and smooth body shape. In addition to tightening the midsection, the 360 body lift can be utilized to remove saddle bags and love handles, and to lift the thighs and buttocks.
Although the exact length of the surgery is dependent upon the scope and nature of the specific lifts performed, the 360 body lift procedure lasts approximately 6-8 hours, and patients typically spend 2-4 days in the recovery center following surgery. If your 360 body lift surgery is being performed out of medical necessity, your health insurance may pay for a portion of the procedure. Dr. Katzen and his professional staff will assist you in trying to gain coverage for your circumferential body lift procedure.
PREPARING FOR YOUR 360 BODY LIFT
Preparation is a key factor in determining the ease and success of your recovery after your 360 body lift. Dr. Katzen will discuss with you in detail how best to prepare for your surgery in order to ensure a safe and rapid recovery process. Some of the most important pre-surgical preparatory steps include:
- Stabilize your weight: Your weight should be stabilized for three months prior to your body lift, within a range of 2-3 pounds.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle: Exercising and eating a balanced diet helps your body to build and preserve the muscle mass it will need in order to handle the post-surgical metabolic demands that will be placed on it.
- Ensure that you are getting enough sleep
- Fill your prescriptions ahead of time
- Prepare nutritious, protein-rich foods ahead of time: According to the Registered Dietician Association, your body will need 75 to 100 grams of protein each day in order to promote proper healing after your 360 body lift.
- Prepare your “recovery room”: Designate a room in your house where you plan to spend most of your recovery time, and stock this room with several pillows, comforters, towels, and any entertainment accessories (movies, books, phone charger etc.) you think you will want close by after your surgery. If possible, place a recliner in your recovery room, as the reclined position will facilitate optimal healing.
- Order a leg squeezer: Dr. Katzen recommends utilizing this product in order to reduce the chance of blood clots, and can guide you as to where you can purchase this item.
- Make arrangements for children and pets: The first two weeks following your body lift surgery you will need to limit your physical activities and abstain from any lifting, so arranging for someone to care for your children and pets ahead of time is a good idea.
- Purchase a used walker: A walker will help you to stead yourself as you walk, and will not place unnecessary strain on your back incision.
360 Circumferential Lower Body Lift Explained by Dr. Katzen
24 year old female who weighed 370 pounds and underwent RNY gastric bypass. She lost 150 pounds. She did not like the excess skin and fat of her central abdomen, pubic region, hips and buttocks.
She underwent multiple surgeries. She had a circumferential body lift with staged liposuction, medial thigh lift, torsoplasty and brachioplasty. After all of the surgeries, about 50 pounds of skin was removed from her abdomen, pubic region, hips, medial thighs, buttocks and arms. Her procedure was covered by insurance.
Please note the significant improvement of her abdomen, pubic region, hips, buttocks, and medial thighs. Almost all of her redundant skin and has been removed. She now has a flat abdomen, smooth hips and firm buttocks.
Dr. Katzen’s private practice, located in Las Vegas, NV and Beverly Hills, CA, is built on the foundational principle of surgical customization, meaning that as a patient, you will receive a unique treatment plan, tailored to reflect your specific aesthetic preferences, and designed to bring your surgical goals to fruition. Dr. Katzen and his professional staff have created a warm, welcoming office environment, where you will feel secure and comfortable throughout your 360 body lift experience.
Dr. Katzen and his professional team understand the importance of well-informed patients, and will take the time to thoroughly explain your circumferential body lift procedural details and options. If you would like additional information about 360 body lift surgery, please contact our office today. We look forward to speaking with you and to scheduling your initial consultation with Dr. Katzen.